Sunday, December 12, 2010

Response to Leland Hyman's Fatal Screening Blog

I had never heard of fatal screening before reading Leland's blog post - http://lhymanlsc100f009.blogspot.com/. After reading the post, it opened my eyes to a completely new idea - that doctors can now test the DNA of an unborn fetus through non-invasive means to see if there are any genetic defects in the fetus. I think Leland did a good job presenting both sides of the argument.  I like how Leland said that he supports the technology, but "very hesitantly".  My opinion on the issue, although I am still fairly uneducated on it, is very similar.  The technology basically gives parents freedom to choose whether or not they want the child, which is scary.  But on the other hand, if a parent doesn't have time, money and other resources to raise a child with a very serious genetic defect, this technology could be very successful.  Overall, Leland did a nice job educating the reader on the issue and arguments for and against it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment